If you are concerned about your online sexual behavior, take this test to see if you are at risk for Internet Pornography Addiction.
Internet Sex Screening Test (ISST)
Please answer the following 25 questions by checking off the ones that apply to you. The total number will be added up automatically for you at the end of all the questions.
- I have some sexual sites bookmarked.
- I spend more than five hours per week using my computer for sexual pursuits.
- I have joined sexual sites to gain access to online sexual material.
- I have purchased sexual products online.
- I have searched for sexual material through an Internet search tool.
- I have spent more money for online sexual material than I planned.
- Internet sex has sometimes interfered with certain aspects of my life.
- I have participated in sexually related chats.
- I have a sexualized username or nickname that I use on the Internet.
- I have masturbated while on the Internet.
- I have access to sexual sites from computers in locations other than my home.
- No one knows I use my computer for sexual purposes.
- I have tried to hide what is on my computer or monitor so others cannot see it.
- I have stayed up after midnight to access sexual material online.
- I use the Internet to experiment with different aspects of sexuality, such as bondage, homosexuality, or anal sex.
- I have my own website that contains some sexual material.
- I have made promises to myself to stop using the Internet for sexual purposes.
- I sometimes use cybersex as a reward for accomplishing something such as finishing a project r enduring a stressful day.
- When I am unable to access sexual information online, I feel anxious, angry, or disappointed.
- I have increased the risks I tae online, such as giving out my name and phone number or meeting people offline.
- I have punished myself when I use the Internet for sexual purposes, such as arranging a time-out from my computer or canceling Internet subscriptions.
- I have met face-to-face with someone I met online for romantic purposes.
- I use sexual humor and innuendo with others while online.
- I have run across illegal sexual material while on the Internet.
- I believe I am an Internet sex addict.
Scoring the ISST
Total the number of items that you indicated were true for you. Use the chart below to determine if Internet sex may be problematic for you.
1 to 8 items marked True = Low Risk: You may or may not have a problem with your sexual behavior on the internet. You are in the low-risk group, but if the internet is causing problems in your life, seek a professional can conduct further assessment.
9 to 18 items marked True = Moderate Risk: You are at risk for sexual behavior to interfere with significant areas of your life. If you are concerned about your sexual behavior online, and you have noticed consequences as a result of your online behavior, you should seek a professional who can further assess and help you with your concerns.
20 or more items marked True = High Risk: You are at the highest risk for your behavior to interfere with and jeopardize important areas of your life (social, occupational, and educational, for example). You should discuss your online sexual behaviors with a professional who can further assess and assist you.
If you are concerned about your Internet pornography use, and are ready to get help in overcoming it, click here for more information.